Rachel Bennington is our Education Officer; she helps High Weald Hero schools integrate what's special about their local area and the outdoors into the curriculum. Email her at
Tel: 01424 723013
What schools have said
Eddie Cottle, Headteacher, Brenchley & Matfield CEP School
'The Welly Walk was one of the most worthwhile pieces of study undertaken by the pupils and staff involved over this term'Read more teacher comments
Schools learning zone
Join the High Weald Heroes!
Do your pupils know how amazing their local area is? This ancient landscape is steeped in tradition, full of historical buildings, fascinating wildlife and special features and is outstandingly beautiful.
Our High Weald Hero education programme uses the rich landscape heritage of the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty to help KS1 and 2 children develop a life-long connection with the natural world around them.
Built around five key High Weald Hero ‘Actions’, the programme encourages schools to Find Out About; Explore; Take Care of; Be Proud of and Enjoy their local area.
As a High Weald Hero school, you will receive a tailored ‘pick and mix’ programme of curriculum-linked activities and resources – all designed and led by our Education Officer, Rachel, to suit your pupils’ needs and your timetable:
- Outdoor learning including assistance with developing your school’s very own Welly Walk – a circular walk starting and ending at the school gate, designed to help children learn more about their unique local landscape. Your Welly Walk can be used for individual classes and as a whole-school activity; many schools even share their walks with the wider community.
- Assemblies and staff training to ensure the whole school understands the programme and is fully invested in it
- Educational materials including map sets of the local area and wider High Weald landscape, dvds and activity sheets
- Themed assemblies and interactive plays covering topics such as endangered High Weald habitats and local history
- Classroom-based workshops such as Stone Age handling boxes, art projects and dissecting owl pellets to learn about food chains
- Regular updates of new workshops and resources, plus access to details of organisations who can support your school in developing projects to deliver the High Weald Hero Actions